Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Private Hotspot for Five

My colleagues and I were sitting around debating the merits of the iPod Touch vs. an iPhone. Besides the phone service, there's not much difference beween the two and if you download a VoIP app for your iPod Touch you can pretty much even make calls with it (ask me later).

My biggest gripe is that my iPod Touch requires a WiFi connection in order to go online. There's no data plan available for it and I don't really want one. That would make it an iPhone and I already have a BlackBerry with an unlimited data plan.

My colleague mentioned that on his train ride in many of the commuters have MiFi's. I hadn't heard of this little gadget so I had to do some nosing around and I found out that Novatel Wireless launched this device only 18 months ago and it is already worldwide.

David Pogue at the NY Times explains that MiFi is a line of compact wireless routers produced by Novatel Wireless that act as mobile Wi-Fi hotspots. Wireless providers like Verizon offer the device and various data plans in order to connect to the Internet on up to five wireless devices (laptop, iPod Touch, mobile phone, etc.) within a 30 ft perimeter. The available plans can get you a MiFi wireless router for $.01 with the monthly service setting you back $39.99 for 250 MB or $59.99 for 5 GB.

The MiFi is password protected and can only be accessed if you share the password making it ideal for business travel or when you are stuck on a plane without WiFi but want to be productive or just don't want to hang out at Starbucks or the library to mooch free wireless.

No comments:

Post a Comment